Author Thread: The Little Things
Admin

The Little Things
Posted : 18 Sep, 2013 09:32 PM

I'm not really sure what category this one belongs under, but I just wanted to share a story my professor told. The story is she was having a difficult time in an abusive environment at home during her high school days and decided she was going to kill herself. After deciding this, she happened to run into one of her classmates at a store. This classmate was the stereotypical prettiest girl in school, most popular, captain of the cheer squad, etc. Upon seeing her that classmate immediately smiled, looked her in the eye and said "Hello, (my professor's name)!" and my professor was stunned at the time because she didn't realize that this girl even knew who she was, let alone liked her and this incident actually caused her to decide not to kill herself later.

The moral of the story is that to the classmate, it wasn't a big deal for her to be nice and say "Hello", but the result was a big deal without her knowing about it. And it's the little things you do that can end up having big consequences for some one else later on for better or for worse.

Anyway, I just thought it was cool to think about and wanted to pass it along.

View Profile
History
The Little Things
Posted : 18 Sep, 2013 11:11 PM

To sum it up in one sentence: You could be making all the difference in some one's world who will go on to influence and impact others and not even realize it.

Tijmen010

View Profile
History
The Little Things
Posted : 19 Sep, 2013 07:57 AM

A lot big things can also make no difference, big things can make a difference, small things can make no difference, small things can make a difference.

But it is an awesome story! Indeed small things could really make a difference, and that's why it is so important to just be nice to everybody. And just show God's love through our deeds and behaviour.

We need also realize that a little thing can highly influence people who are emotional weak (like someone who wants to commit suicide)

View Profile
History
The Little Things
Posted : 19 Sep, 2013 10:18 AM

You may not get the result you want when you want it most of the time, alone all of the time, but I think everything big and small makes a big or small difference. I do agree though when you say big things don't always make big differences and vice versa. I'm just saying I don't think it's possible to do something and not have it make a difference. It's like throwing a stone in the water and the ripples that happen afterward.

sisygirl

View Profile
History
The Little Things
Posted : 19 Sep, 2013 11:16 AM

Our actions weither be they big or small,

They always make a difference since they affect the next person either in a positive or negative way.... One may not react in that particular time, but there's an effect of some kind that has taken place through your reaction.

At times when you simply just smile at someone (could even be a stranger for that matter) she/he may either choose to look away in a way that shuts you out (reflection of rejection)

Or a simple smile can make one feel welcomed enough to come & make a small conversation with you (reflection of being embraced)

Before you know it you're now 'friends'

Its now a question of making that friendship work & last (that is through regular communication)....Or both just lived for that moment, you don't wanna nourish anything from that, was only for that moment.

If something as small as a smile can create a relationship from strangers,

How much more effective are bigger things.... Though one may choose not to react to what you did.

Hello Renov, how you doing?

I enjoy your company hey.

View Profile
History
The Little Things
Posted : 19 Sep, 2013 11:51 AM

I've got my ups and my downs but overall doing ok trying to manage working and going to school fulltime and having no days off whatsoever and renovating myself. Fighting the good fight. Thanks for asking sisigirl. How are you?

sisygirl

View Profile
History
The Little Things
Posted : 19 Sep, 2013 09:40 PM

Through God's grace i'm ok I suppose.

Just feeling tired, i'll be taking leave in about 2weeks from now, a forced leave hey... My boss doesn't wanna take my story, she's sending me home without a choice saying I need to rest. I'd rather be at work & keep busy, than staying home when others are working... But hey she won't listen this time around,

So yah I'll be spending time home.

Anything you wanna share with me my brother?

Could be a scripture that's in your heart... Anything at all

View Profile
History
The Little Things
Posted : 20 Sep, 2013 12:32 AM

I understand wanting to stay busy and use work to distract, but maybe some time off would be good and maybe even better. I'd embrace it. As far as scripture goes I just posted one in the Questions about the Bible section. And then like 5 other posts from others followed it and got viewed over 100 time in 5 mins. I'm not exaggerating either that's literally what happened. Kinda weird. Anyway, if you wanna go over there and read about it you can. I think it's pretty good.

sisygirl

View Profile
History
The Little Things
Posted : 20 Sep, 2013 06:00 PM

Thank you dear for the shared scripture, had to make time & refresh my spirit over it so I can relate with you about it. Was quite a hectic scenario when reading with imagenation of how it must have been like in that situation.

Verse 2, And His disciples asked Him, saying, "Rabbi, who sinned this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"

I always try & relate the disciples with us, fore they represent us... Asking questions we would have asked since we wouldn't our selves have understood Jesus & the mission that He came for without every single question asked by His disciples. It was for our own good that they asked questions, misunderstood Him & seeked more knowledge & understanding so we too can read & understand as Jesus explained further to them.

That was a fair question asked by the disciples come to think about it, since these people believed & lived by Moses' laws, God said "He punishes till the forth generation of those who won't obey Him" Think I would have asked the same question being in His disciples shoes at that time.

As for the pharises:

Those ones were spiritually blind. Field with rules & laws but missing the giver of those laws simply cause they were Moses' disciples (just as they said in verse 28)

They even missed what the Sabbath day meant,

A day ordained by Christ for rest,

This poor man needed rest & deliverance from chains of blindness. Can't imagen how frustrating it was not to have vission & now he cannot celebrate deliverance cause he fears the pharisees who themselves need the light, deliverance from ignorance, spiritual blindness & formuler on how they programed God's ways & life at large.

Thank you Renov,

Was quite an interesting passage to read through.

sisygirl

View Profile
History
The Little Things
Posted : 20 Sep, 2013 06:22 PM

Can I ask you a question please Renov,

Though its not in-line with our current topic today

(should stop this, have a tendency of bringing subjects from other forums, to the current, even when not relevent)

On our previous conversation, in a Colomn of 'Ask a guy'

We ended up talking about rejection & body language. I posted you a list of signs through body language that could be 99% that you're liked/loved even if one reflects those signs which may seem to be opposit signs of love & likeness.

Just checking if I made any sense to you my brother,

Since I didn't cauch up with you after I've posted you those... But was rather carried away in my conversation with dfisherman.

View Profile
History
The Little Things
Posted : 20 Sep, 2013 07:10 PM

Right. I was interested in replying to that but that thread seemed to have been derailed by then. To be honest, I couldn't really relate to seeing women do those types of things. Maybe those things are just particular to your area? It does remind me of something I've seen women do a lot of in my own experience where they will try to make guys jealous only to have it totally backfire on them because we have no idea how that's supposed to communicate she likes us and wants us to like her. But I wasn't quite sure what to do with that list to be honest. Sorry :/ Maybe you could bring it up again under another thread.

Page : 1 2