Author Thread: Sound Controller Pod Switch Going Bad
musician47

View Profile
History
Sound Controller Pod Switch Going Bad
Posted : 10 Aug, 2018 09:16 AM

Hello to all- I have an Acoustic Authority sound system on my computer I bought back in about 2006 or '07. It's the best 180 watt system there is! The subwoofer moves walls! But there is a fly in the ointment. The sound controller on/off switch, where the volume and bass controls are, is going bad. I'm having a horrible time keeping it on. I have a toothpick wedged down into the switch to help hold it to where the contact points will keep the system turned on. I no longer turn it off at night there, but unplug the system so as not to disturb the switch. Yet, just about every single morning when I turn the computer on, the contacts are gone, no audio! I like to have never got that switch in the right position to where it would turn on the sound system this morning and it's getting harder to do every time. One day soon, I may not can. I love music and this is making me sick at heart! The model number of the Acoustic Authority system is "A 3780 R". I doubt anyone would know where I could find a replacement controller, as I hear they are rare, if they exist at all. It's a crying shame Acoustic Authority took such pains to build such a fine sound system, yet skimped on the quality of the controller. I've read all over the internet where everyone who has bought this or a similar model system has had the same issues with the controller pod going bad. Thanks for reading. <*))))><

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Aug, 2018 10:06 PM

I'm not sure how this system is built, but if its just a switch one may be able to replace the switch with off the self switch.

that may require soldering.

Looking at images online, I believe your talking about the little mouse looking thing with buttons? That could likely be fixed if you find someone that works with reaping small electronics.

musician47

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Aug, 2018 11:38 AM

That's right, it does resemble a mouse. I wish I could post a picture of it. There are two roller type controls at the top, bass and volume, then the on/off switch is below those. That's good to know that it could be fixable. It's been staying on good today. Must have the toothpick wedged just right. Thanks for that info!

"I'm not sure how this system is built, but if its just a switch one may be able to replace the switch with off the self switch.

that may require soldering.

Looking at images online, I believe your talking about the little mouse looking thing with buttons? That could likely be fixed if you find someone that works with reaping small electronics."

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Aug, 2018 02:02 PM

If its just a On off push switch someone with the right tools and skill could likely replace the piece.

They would need a soldering iron and likely some small screwdrivers.

The problem would be finding someone locally. I used to do that kind of work alot. But I no longer have the tools for it.

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Sep, 2018 07:27 PM

I know what you mean about finding a good, personal computer sound system and would just recommend taking the plunge and researching a new one.

If you have the cash, go for seperate components; it will last longer, can be replaced speaker-by-speaker, the quality is better, etc.. (Such as those that can be tested at music stores.) I think it will be far worth your time; and rewarding if you have an ear for the many subtleties within (some types of) music... which I am guessing is so, as your name is "musician47".