Author Thread
CreativeA

View Profile
I've never had a broken heart and never will
Posted : 6 Dec, 2014 07:58 PM

I honestly wanted to dare the original poster to read *my* mind :winksmile:

...since he claims to be such a genuis mind-reader.

But then I saw he's been kicked off the site.

Which would make it no fun at all.

CreativeA

View Profile
Massachusetts Father Mad Just Because Public School Teaches �There Is No God But Allah�
Posted : 6 Dec, 2014 06:53 PM

� 'We don�t believe in Allah. I don�t believe in my son learning about this here,' Giannino added. 'If my son was from another country and came here, he would have been catered to.'

The mad dad said he pulled his son out of his elementary school when he found out about the textbook�s treatment of Islam."

I don't get this.

US government schools have been teaching Statism/ humanism for what, 80 years, and suddenly a parent is angry about one teaching Islam?

CreativeA

View Profile
Christians Wearing Clothes in Modesty vs Practicality
Posted : 6 Dec, 2014 06:42 PM

"...since nobody seems to have the perfect definition on what 'modesty' is."

The Greek word, "kosmos," that's translated as "modest" means orderly, virtuous, decent. I'm thinking "skanky" doesn't really fit with the definition "decent and virtuous" - even people in the world know better than this.

To answer the above questions:

1.To help prevent "lust of the eyes", should a church enforce a dress code on how women (or men) should dress?

A: I don't think "lust of the eyes" should come into the argument. At all. That just starts a back and forth "blame game." (Women are responsible for men's lust, etc. Not a godly stance.) Just stick with the "decent and virtuous" argument and you'll have enough to go on. Three inches of cleavage isn't considered "decent and virtuous," not even by the world. Sheesh. Can't we just employ common sense once in a while?

In other words, women shouldn't dress like they took a wrong turn and ended up in church instead of a bar.

2.With the moral decline in society and the rise of sexual assaults (on both men and women), is it really practical for christian women and men to wear revealing clothes?

A: I don't think it's ever "practical" to wear next to nothing, in most situations (other than the privacy of the bedroom of married people, where it has, shall we say, many practical purposes. :) I really can't think of any situations where public nudity or partial nudity is "practical." Maybe if you're incarcerated and making a jail break and wearing clothes won't allow you to slip thru the escape hatch? I don't know. :P

3.Can you imagine how many men (and some women) have lustful thoughts while seeing a sexy woman in the pulpit or in the praise team's stage?

A: Yes, I can imagine. Do I want to imagine? No. Do I realize it happens? Yes, I'm not that naive. But the fact is, most churches are "performance" oriented, and it's going to be the "beautiful" people they choose to be up on stage "performing." I've noticed this. Every time.

4.Should only women who have real fighting/selfdefense skills (or a concealed weapon) be allowed to wear sexy clothing?

A: Ha ha. I'm sorry... that's just... other than wanting to bust out , I'm speechless.

5.Should capital punishment immediately be given to sex offenders to scare people in society? Should the male sex offenders be castrated?

A: I have a friend who lived in Singapore. Whatever else, you can say about Singapore, he said it's very safe there for women as rapists get the death penalty. I technically think that's a good idea, and in particular I think it NEEDS to be implemented against child molesters, because the number of them running around is scary - but like every other idea, there are gray areas and it's not a straight up and down black and white issue. But capital punishment shouldn't be given to scare people - it should be given to PREVENT the evildoers from harming others. Because they can always get out of prison, or rape other prisoners, you know.

6.Sexy type clothing is now being marketed to pre-teens (and even younger girls). Should christians protest these companies?

A: The best protest is non-compliance. Don't by the clothes. Repeat: Don't buy the clothes. Even if your daughter is begging you to let her dress sexy, don't buy those clothes for her. Simple enough, right?

7.Neo-conservatism is becoming trendy again. Longer shorts and "mom pants" (for women) are in the mainstream fashion again. Should christians and churches become more influential in the fashion industry?

A: I would define "neo-conservatism" as something entirely different (I'm pretty sure we're not talking about war here.) But, I digress. Should Christians become more influential in the fashion industry? The old puritan vs. separatist argument again, eh? No, I don't think Christians should attempt being influential in the fashion world. In my opinion, at its core it is vanity (at best) and evil (at worst.) I see such an argument as the same as Christians who want to go to Hollywood to try to become movie stars. There are a lot of great, wholesome movies being produced, independent of the mainstream market - why not join efforts and talent there? Same with fashion - there are a lot of small businesses springing up that offer stylish but decent clothing. I doubt, however that their influence, if any, is going to be felt by the mainstream fashion market.

8.(Finally, the dating question) Are there men here who would actually prefer dating a christian woman who is "covered up" from neck to the ankles? What do the women here think about this?

A: That, unless I was called to live in a Muslim country, I see no practical purpose for this.

CreativeA

View Profile
Arranged marriage
Posted : 6 Dec, 2014 05:55 PM

In the US, arranged marriages DO exist, amongst a small number of very conservative homeschoolers, who want to return to a "Biblical" way of doing marriage.

In my opinion, the results aren't pretty. Particularly when they involve over-controlling parents who want to dictate every aspect of their adult children's lives.

I realise that in some cultures, arranged marriage is just a normal part of life, and I respect that. But I could, personally, not submit to an arranged marriage, nor would it be wise to try to push it on those whose culture has never fully embraced it.

First off, because the only one whom I fully trust to find the right sort of spouse for me is God. I need His leading, not my parents' or my friends. (Not that my parents aren't great. But every time my dad has kiddingly pointed out certain guys or said, "What about so and so?" my immediate reaction has been to gag. :)

Secondly, I can't imagine spending my life with someone whom to whom I am not emotionally, spiritually, physically and mentally attracted to. And I can't know if I have all four of those types of connections if I haven't been allowed time to get to know them well. Very well.

I realise that technically, to some limited extent, any one man and one woman COULD make a marriage work IF they were both willing to, even if they weren't emotionally attached at first. But isn't marriage hard work enough, without the added stressor of being committed to someone who has far different callings, outlook on life, or interests than you? And if you're going to be sharing all aspects of life with someone, including the marriage bed, don't you want to be attracted to them and able to ENJOY life with them?

CreativeA

View Profile
biblical duties of a husband and biblical duties of a wife
Posted : 7 Sep, 2014 05:19 PM

Biblical duties of the husband and wife?

First that comes to mind is: to have sex. Marital intimacy glorifies God (which is why Satan would seek to prevent it...) Celibacy is for unmarried people.

Here's Paul for you (since you asked for reference):

"The husband must fulfill his duty to his wife, and likewise also the wife to her husband. The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. [b]Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control."[/b]

CreativeA

View Profile
still waiting
Posted : 7 Sep, 2014 03:46 PM

Hey there, dear sister,

I hope you are able to meet some godly guys here. Fellowship with brothers is sooo important - of course, we all hope to meet our future spouses soon but building friendships is vitally important as well. God bless you.

CreativeA

View Profile
I enjoy making new friends and good conversation
Posted : 7 Sep, 2014 02:48 PM

H ithere! New here... we'll see how this goes. It seems like a lot of people are active here, and friendly (thus far) so I do believe I'm off to a good start. I haven't checked out the forums much yet... I wonder if they can get "heated" like some of the other forums I've participated in. Nothing like a good, controversial topic to get people engaged getting to know other folks. ;-) In my opinion, no topic is off limits, so long as it doesn't get ugly and isn't dishonoring to God. I like to get to the meat of things and not just stick with small chat all the time.